Timed Writing Rules:
1) Figure out how much time you have total
2) Read the question/prompt
a. Figure out what youíre being asked to do
i. What kind of writing should you do?
ii. What tasks do you need to accomplish?
b.Think about what you know
3) Figure out which part(s) will take longer
4) Brainstorm (write down all the info you can think of about the topic)
5) Organize (outline/group your information logically)
6) Write the essay already!
a. Restate the question as part of your answer
b.Unless otherwise instructed, donít skip lines
c. Unless otherwise instructed, write AT LEAST 5 paragraphs
7) Revise and edit your work Ė itís never perfect!
Parts 1-5 should only take 10-20% of your allotted time. (in a 40 min. period, ~5 mins.)
Part 6 should take most of the rest of your time. (in a 40 min. period, ~30 mins.)
Part 7 should take 5-10% of your time. (in a 40 min. period, ~5 mins.)