Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying
As per our mission statement, we are committed to establishing a "caring educational environment." We strive for all of our schools to be safe, inclusive, and nurturing environments.
The Holmdel Township Schools, as stated in Policy 5512, forbids all forms of harassment, intimidation, and bullying, and is committed to fostering a learning environments in which students feel valued, secure, and safe. The creation of such an environment involves cooperation and dedication among staff, parents, and students. It is essential to mission.
To determine whether an incident is Harassment, Intimidation, or bullying, it is important to first consider the definition.
Harassment, Intimidation, or bullying means any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communications, whether it be a single incident or a series of incidents that:
- is reasonably perceived as being motivated by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical, or sensory disability; or by any other distinguishing characteristic; and that takes place on school property, at any school sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students; and
- takes place on school property, at any school sponsored function, or off school grounds; and
- substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students.
If the incident meets all of the above, consider whether it also meets one of these:
- A reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, that the act(s) will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a pupil or damaging the pupil's property, or placing a pupil in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his/her person or damage to his/her property
- Has the effect of insulting or demeaning any student or group of students
- Creates a hostile educational environment for the pupil by interfering with a pupil's education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the student.
If it does, it may be a case of HIB. Contact the HIB staff in your school.
Eric Swensen, District Coordinator email@example.com Phone: 732-946-1839
Christine Barbara – Village School CBarbara@holmdelschools.org Phone: 732-946-1820
TBD – Indian Hill School @holmdelschools.org Phone: 732-946-1045
James Bruce – W. R. Satz School JBruce@holmdelschools.org Phone: 732-946-1808
Lori Vona – Holmdel High School LVona@holmdelschools.org Phone: 732-946-1832